self-love in the wake of the 2016 presidential election

Over the course of the past week, I've felt like I've been living on another planet. 

Donald Trump is the president-elect of the United States. 

A man who has been recorded on tape saying awful and invasive things about women will soon hold the highest office in the developed world. Millions of people cast their ballots in his name despite all that he has done and said over the past year and a half.

Many are shocked. Many are disheartened. Many are terrified.

For those of you who are scared, and angry, and hopeless, I hear you. I am all of those things, too. I want to encourage you not to forget about self-care in the coming months (and the next four years). I know this is a hard time. But we must not lose hope, and we must not forget to take care of our bodies and minds.

Drink water. Take some time for yourself. Do something you enjoy doing. Watch the sun rise. Treat yourself to an ice cream cone. Call your mom. Have a picnic with a loved one. Catch up with an old friend. Re-read your favorite book. 

Be angry, but do not let anger consume you. Be informed, but do not remain glued to your screen. Hold strong in your beliefs, but do not become hateful.

Spread love to those around you who are also scared. Be there for each other. Unite. We are stronger together.

This is a very difficult time for many Americans. Now is the time to seek compassion in the very depths of your heart and feel the pain of others reverberate in your lungs. We are all on the same boat, and it is sinking.

Be strong. Be brave. Fight back. & love yourself. 

BB.

{This blog post is dedicated to Hillary Clinton, an incredibly strong woman who worked tirelessly her entire life for a shot at the presidency only to be defeated by a man with zero political expertise whatsoever. I'm so sorry, Hillary. My heart absolutely aches for you. You weren't my candidate to start with, but I voted for you with peace in my heart. As you watch the popular vote continue to climb in your name, I hope you know that it should have been you, not him.}



Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment